50-50-116. Conditions for cottage food operation exemption from licensure and routine facility inspection. (1) To acquire the status of not being a retail food establishment, a cottage food operation must meet the conditions in this section and shall register with a local health authority as provided in 50-50-117.
(2) A cottage food operation shall:
(a) follow department food standards as provided in rule, including applicable provisions implementing the 2013 United States food and drug administration food code;
(b) package cottage food products and label the cottage food products prior to sale, including on the label, at a minimum, the following:
(i) the name, address, city, state, and zip code of the cottage food operation;
(ii) the name of the cottage food product;
(iii) the ingredients of the cottage food product, in descending order of predominance by weight;
(iv) the net quantity, weight, count, or volume of the cottage food product;
(v) allergen labeling as specified by federal and state labeling requirements;
(vi) if a nutritional claim is made, an appropriate label if required by federal law; and
(vii) the following statement, printed in at least the equivalent of 11-point font size in a color that provides a clear contrast to the background and is conspicuously placed on the principal label:
"Made in a home kitchen that is not subject to retail food establishment regulations or inspections."
(3) Providing cottage food products by consignment, including at a retail food establishment or through a wholesale establishment, is prohibited.
(4) Processing or packaging of cottage food products must be in the specific registered area of the domestic residence of the person processing or packaging the cottage food products.
(5) A cottage food operation may store cottage food products only in the registered area of the primary domestic residence used to produce the cottage food product or temporarily in a motor vehicle used to transport cottage food products.
(6) (a) A cottage food operation is subject to local health authority or state enforcement action for violations of applicable department regulations.
(b) Cottage food products may be subject to other state or federal laws or regulations.
(7) A cottage food operation that meets the requirements in this section is not a retail food establishment or a wholesale food establishment and is not subject to licensure or inspection requirements under Title 50, chapter 57, or this chapter.