(1) "Collect" means the gathering of personally identifiable information about a user of an internet service, online service, or website by or on behalf of the provider or operator of that service or website by any means, direct or indirect, active or passive, including:
(a) an online request for the information by the provider or operator, regardless of how the information is transmitted to the provider or operator;
(b) the use of an online service to gather the information; or
(2) "Governmental entity" means the state and political subdivisions of the state.
(3) "Government website operator" or "operator" means a governmental entity that operates a website located on the internet or an online service and that collects or maintains personal information from or about the users of or visitors to the website or online service or on whose behalf information is collected or maintained.
(4) "Internet" means, collectively, the myriad of computer and telecommunications facilities, including equipment and operating software, that comprise the interconnected worldwide network of networks that use the transmission control protocol/internet protocol or any predecessor or successor protocols to communicate information of all kinds by wire or radio.
(5) "Online" means any activity regulated by 2-17-550 through 2-17-553 that is effected by active or passive use of an internet connection, regardless of the medium by or through which the connection is established.
(6) "Personally identifiable information" means individually identifiable information about an individual collected online, including:
(a) a first and last name;
(b) a residence or other physical address, including a street name and name of a city or town;
(c) an e-mail address;
(d) a telephone number;
(e) a social security number; or
(f) unique identifying information that an internet service provider or a government website operator collects and combines with any information described in subsections (6)(a) through (6)(e).
(7) "Political subdivision" means any county, city, municipal corporation, school district, or other political subdivision or public corporation.
(8) "State" means the state of Montana or any office, department, agency, authority, commission, board, institution, hospital, college, university, or other instrumentality of the state.